Friday, October 10, 2008

I was afraid of this....Library Thing

For several years now, in my wanderings around the web, I have found many, many references to how cool Library Thing was. I was afraid to explore it, because...and let's be honest...I love books! I love books and reading in ways I sometimes think aren't normal. You don't think I became a librarian because I was in love with sensible shoes, do you? No, it was because I would be surrounded by books, and (having a key to the building) I would never, ever be without something to read.

I also love the look, feel and smell of books, and could be considered being just this side of a bibliomaniac. I don't even attend Friends of the Library booksales anymore, because of that certain corner of my house that is filled with bookshelves and stacked with books. And the wall-to-wall bookcase in my bedroom that's full, and the pile of books next to my bed, and next to the couch, and under the windowseat in the kitchen... I've given up trying to keep up with reading the professional book reviews because I've got reading lists pages long already, and my reserve que for my library card is full, and I'm at my library card limit, too. Oh, and did I mention the books on cd in my car?

So one can list one's books on Library Thing, which is great for people who like lists - but better yet - it groups books by subject by tags! Heaven on earth! So when I enter one of my all time favorite books - Pride and Prejudice - it gives me other books I might like to try also. Like books about Mr. Darcy - ooooh; or what happened after they were married - haven't you always wondered? And on, and on, and on....

So now Library Thing will help feed my obsession, and my poor husband and daughter will have to arrange some type of intercession to bring me back to the real world.

No comments: