Tuesday, November 11, 2008

10 Random Facts About Me

I have taken up the HB challenge....as it were.

1. I grew up in International Falls, MN, a small town on the U.S.- Canadian Border. It is often mentioned on the Weather Channel. It holds the official title of "Icebox of the Nation." It was portrayed as Frostbite Falls on the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show. Yes, it was cold and there was a lot of snow. But one dealt with it, and we didn't have many snow days. Winters were glorious; white and crisp, and summers non-humid and mid-70's. We had Rainy River (glacier fed) and the lakes for boating, water skiing and fishing. Many nights we could see the Aurora Borealis. It's a wonderful, friendly little town.

2. I have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. While I just discovered this a little over a year ago, it has explained so many things about my personality and behavior. Some people advise that mentioning something that is a recognized disability will keep my career stalled. Hah! Don't care. I'm not afraid to take a risk, I'm creative, and I can think outside of the box like nobody's business. ADHD may have a downside, but it really has an upside. To keep it simple, it has to do with dopamine transporters and receptors in the brain. Don't you love it when it really, truly isn't your fault?

3. I LOVE dark chocolate, and especially frozen 3 Musketeer bars. I really, really dislike milk chocolate. I'm not a big sugar buff, but give me fresh bread and hot butter, and I swoon..

4. I am a very good photographer. I've been told I have a talent for it. Personally, I don't see it, I just do it - I like how it turns out.

5. I've encountered only one famous person: Tom Baker, the fifth Doctor Who. The weekend before I came to Columbus and to work for CML (Feb 1985), I attended a Dr.W convention in Champaign, IL. I have a picture somewhere.

6. I once called my mother from a non-collecting pay phone (only phone in the village) from a mountaintop in France, and the first words out of her mouth after I said hello, was "Are you in jail?" Odd, since I've never been in jail.

7. If I couldn't have made it as a librarian, I would have been a landscape architect.

8. My first car was a jacked up Plymouth Fury III, formerly a state patrol car. And yes, I was known to drag race a couple of times. Nothing like having a car full of girls, and outdistance a couple of unsuspecting guys at a stop light. Do remember this was over 40 years ago.

9. My most productive hours are from 10:00 until 2:00. I have never been an early morning person. Catch me when I come in to work, and you'll know it is true. I need at least two cups of strong coffee to 'wake me up.'

10. I married a CML security officer. Our first date was the Christmas performance of The Nutcraker Ballet. We were engaged by Valentine's Day. He had to ask the director at the time if it was ok for us to get married. The director said we'd make a cute couple. How embarassing. But at least we didn't have to get permission from the Board, as was previous policy. However, I did hear later that the Board also gave their informal permission. There was a cartoon drawn about it in the staff newspaper. I still have it somewhere.

That's it, folks. Now you know everything about me.

1 comment:

typealibrarian said...

I'm so glad we are all doing this. It is great to get to know everyone better. Expect a gift of dark chocolate soon!