Monday, October 3, 2016

Chasing Embers

I love the website NetGalley where I can find books about to be published and read them (and review, of course)  but I get too greedy and then I have to suspend all other household activities (poor me) and read, read, read.  This one was fun and not quite what I expected.

As a first time novel, it's pretty good, tho the author gets carried away in some of his plentiful use of adverbs and adjectives, but I hold out hope he'll tone it down in his following novels. It's a fun read about dragons and magic, and fairly well reasoned out to its use in this alternate earth. I found it interesting that the author talks about conservation of resources and the earth's changing climate, and the devastation of war as seen from a dragon who has the long view. I was impressed with this addition. There's lots of action, and a bit of romance. Lots of introspection on the part of the dragon, and growth in the character, which was somewhat unexpected on my part.

Reader's Advisory: Urban Fantasy. First in the series. This is a great What to Read Next for followers of the Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey, the Dresden Chronicles by Jim Butcher, or Simon Green's Nightside series.

No comments: