Saturday, October 1, 2016

Where I am Now by Mara Wilson

I love autobiographies.  There's something sort of naughty about them peeking into someone else's life, and not minding my own business.  I suppose it's a manner of wondering if I'm doing my life right, because for sure it's doesn't seem to be going as I would prefer.  However, I really enjoyed Mara Wilson's new autobiography Where I am Now.  It's a parody of those click bait sites we see at the bottom of articles, that tell you the celebrities you've grown up with are now completely disgraced, old, fat or whatever.  Like we're not all human.  Anyway, my review:

Autobiographies; where we peek into someone else's life with no shame. Wilson's story was a thoroughly enjoyable read, even though I empathized as Ms. Wilson discusses her personal anxieties and obsessions, and later discovering that they are treatable. But I particularly like how she discovers that her true love is telling stories and doing stand-up story telling. She speaks to how being a very young actor sets up expectations in later life, within herself and with others who saw her movies. And she talks about, even though she was considered |cute" by casting directors in her youth, she is not considered "pretty enough" as she grows into her teens, giving no credit to her acting talent. I mean, really, how many of us were pretty in our teens? She speaks of some of the people she worked with, especially her love of Robin Williams. She takes these stories as her stand up material giving them a wry, comedic twist, making the folly of our human experiences comparable.


No comments: