Monday, December 1, 2008

You tube

What can one say about Youtube that hasn't been said before, and in a thousand different ways? We all have our personal uses for it, and knowing the creative inventiveness of the human mind, it's going to develop in ways we can't even conceive of at this moment.
I love watching the old clips from the Ed Sullivan show, things I saw when I was a little girl. Does anyone remember Topo Gigio? "Eddieeee, kiss me goodnite." And the Muppet clips before there was ever a Muppet show, or Sesame Street? And then there's the Weird Al Yankovic videos - White & Nerdy, or It's all about the Pentiums, Baby. And, I confess, every now and then I'll watch Shania Twain dance on a table top with Billy Currington. Hey, I can have my shallow moments, too.
Of course, there are lots of sites that are following the trend: Flickr and Google to name just two. Go into the Google Search Engine and enter Upload Videos and 'et voila!' you have scores of places to choose from.
I've watched videos on how to cook, or make things. And then there's a special one just produced lately, where Mr. Schwaab tells us about his 10 Random Things. And for those who need a little fame, it's a great, or at least remarkable place for them to have their 15 minutes. It's a great tool to use as an interactive process between the Library and it's customers, and it's a great archive itself of humanity. What will the space aliens ever think of us?

No comments: